We use the Zoom platform for online classes. Login codes are sent prior to the first class only. Some email systems such as Hotmail block our emails to you. Please check your junk folders, and if you have have not received your class info, please contact us (email@example.com) 15-30 minutes before your class begins so we can reply with the login codes. We will get you into your class.
Drawing & Painting the Head
- Teacher: Catherine Lepp
- Class Length: 8 Weeks
- Class Days: Sundays, beginning March 3 (No class March 31)
- Time: 1:30pm – 4:30PM PDT
This class will use portrait heads as a basis for form, and the poetry of touch with drawing and painting. Participants will implement positive and negative shapes, relationships, and the grid. We will draw with color, and explore the grid as we investigate form. Working from life, focus will be given to instinct, quality of marks, and line. Inspiration will also come from the fundamentals within masterworks that have used the formal language of shape, the poetry of touch, and the experience of light to describe the human form. Using limited color palette theories, students will engage in color mixing exploration. Artworks will be evaluated for energy, air, color and patterns within the composition. Participants will watch their hand expand and develop through multiple 24×24″ experiments in color and surface.
All levels welcome.
- 1 surface primed, canvas or board, 24 x 24 or 20×20 or 18×18. Optional 6 pack of 12×12 boards
- Oil OR Acrylic Paints
- 2-3 Jars with lids for water/turpenoid
- Assorted brushes, variety of sizes & shapes
- Cotton rags or Paper towels
- Large Palette or tray
- 1 sm. & 1 lg. palette knife
- Linseed/Walnut Oil or Turpenoid for oil painting only
- optional Gesso – small tub, for priming surfaces
- Brown paper, Watercolor paper pads minimum 9×12
- Sumi or walnut ink & pens/brushes.
- set of color pencils and/or pastels.
- Graphite Drawing Pencils (2H, HB, 2B, 4B) Kneaded & Rubber erasers
PAINTS (oil or acrylic)
- Titanium White
- Black, Lemon Yellow, Cadmium Yellow Medium
- Cadmium Red Medium, Vermillion, Crimson
- Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt Blue
- Turquoise. Violet
Gallery of images: Student works